Tuesday, September 25, 2007

月夜の晩に


Long time ago back in JHS, we were told to read a poem of Nakahara Chuya.
It's about his loneliness when walking by the sea on a moonlight night.
Every single classmate of mine understood this poem and knew it was about solitude.
But I thought he was saying how nice it felt to walk alone on a beautiful moonlight night.
The teacher made me state what I thought about this poem in front of everyone and I was told that I got it wrong. It was so embarrassing I still remember that day.

-----

It was a beautiful moonlight night tonight.
When I looked up the sky and saw the perfectly round moon on my way home, I just felt, simply, happy.

Cheesy part of me would like to think that there was someone out there feeling the same.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being told how to feel about a poem seems like a very japanese educational thing to experience.

Unknown said...

Very true.
A similar thing happens at book review contest in school too.
You won't get praised unless you write what teachers expect you to feel about a book.

Thanks for leaving a comment.