Monday, June 28, 2010

What am I?


Last Sunday was a good day.
A bunch of my fellow photograph lovers and I went out to town for shooting.
I enjoyed pointing my cameras at them and it was fun having a few cameras pointed at me.

Being a subject of someone's photography is a good experience.
I should be able to understand what it feels like to be photographed as well as what it feels like to photograph someone.
I tried my best not to disappoint the photographers as I didn't want to waste any of their films.
When this guy started taking my photos, I begun to feel restless.
I wasn't sure if he got what he wanted.
I didn't know if I was what he expected me to be.

I just couldn't stop but wonder what he saw in me.

Then I had to try and see what I see in myself so I looked for a mirror and took a self-portrait.

I think I needed to feel that I hadn't changed much since 8 months ago.

My hair is shorter, but I am pretty much the same inside.
Some people seem to like to put a new label on me and I probably do have a new aspect of myself now but I just want to stay as Yuna the photo/hip-hop/movies/fun lover.

2 comments:

Kaku said...

Damn...I wanted to be there so bad.
I had to do some research on Japanese Brazilians in Hamamatsu and went see their traditional festival in Hamamatsu on the day so I wasn't able to come shoot.
It would be nice and fun to shoot portraits with you guys.
The festival was fun though. I couldn't understand what they were saying. I gotta learn some Portuguese.

Oh yeah, we definitely should know how it feels to be taken pics of.
But that's what I'm totally bad at.
I tend to think of myself as a bad looking guy so I just can't feel like being photographed.
One of my photo friends told me that you are done with 70% of your portraiture when you have chosen who you were going to shoot.
When I shoot portraits, I should have some sort of concepts that I can deal with. Some photographers say we should see the models as they are, but I do not believe that's the best way to make images themselves rather than just "take pictures", you know. I get bored for sure if I do that.
I have an idea on what they should wear, what kind of makeup it should be, how they should make their faces, what kind of background should be behind them, and those kinds of things.

I'd love to take photos of you by the way.

Unknown said...

It would have been nice if you could come! I would have liked to see how you take photos etc.
That festival sounds interesting. There are so many Brazilians in Hamamatsu, huh? I like the distinct atmosphere of Hamamatsu that makes you feel a bit like you are not in Japan.

I can see what your friend told you. Who you take photos of, why/how you chose your model ,and how you are connected with the person play a big part in portraits I think.

As for having a concept for portraits shooting, I do the same. I create an image of what kind of picture I would like to take in my mind first and then try to materialize it when I get a chance to.

I wonder what kind of images you have for me and how I will look to you through your view finder.

撮影できたらいいねー。